hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: HBase Hackathon IV Wrap-up
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2010 05:39:52 GMT
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:20 AM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:

> That fellas have to put up a webapp container to author to write docs
> is too high a barrier in my opinion (I have to have a mysql running
> too?).  Getting fellas writing doc. is like pulling teeth at the best
> of times so barriers should be at a minimum.
>
> How would versioning work?  We'd have to pull out of daisy and commit
> into the repo?

People would access a centrally-hosted instance of Daisy to author/maintain
docs. Offline editing is impossible.

Upon designated moments, we can then use the Books feature of Daisy to pull
a static copy from the webapp into the ASF repo - I'd say close to major
releases.

> > Consider it being a Confluence without the UI/Atlassian fanciness,
> slightly
> > more complex (but also more flexible), however pretty stable and with a
> > solid techdoc legacy. We're quite busy but I could look if we could free
> up
> > some time to support a trial if that's what the community wants.
>

> Thanks for the offer.  You suggesting you'd host it?  We'd make
> docs.hbase.org point to such a hosting?

There's a bit of work involved in setting up something which appeals both
visually and structurally to documentation authors - but nothing to be
afraid of. With the holiday season approaching however, doing so might take
until late August. If that's still helpful, we can look into helping out.

With regards to physical provisioning of such a box, we don't have any
leftover capacity at the moment. Either we ask Apache (one of the Sun zones
boxes perhaps), or we investigate spare capacity somewhere else. We don't
have any internal hosting capacity to speak of, I suspect other HBase users
have that readily available. If that's not possible, it's a matter of hiring
a VPS somewhere out there and pointing docs.hbase.org to it.

> Speaking of which, with my ASF Member hat on: we should have some formal
> > vetting on doc contributions as well - with Daisy for Cocoon we had a
> simple
> > tick box upon registration to declare a contributor had the legal rights
> > actually contribute under the ASF license terms. If the idea is to open
> up
> > doc contributions, of course.
> >
> While this'd be sweet, there is such a checkbox in JIRA that
> contributors need to check for us to commit (doc) patches.

Ideally, doc contributors would get access to Daisy as well, but only be
allowed to work in draft mode. Doc editors would then publish their changes.

Steven.
Open Source Content Applications
Makers of Kauri, Daisy CMS and Lily