hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: What for a Documentation Tool (WAS -> Re: HBase Hackathon IV Wrap-up)
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2010 02:56:58 GMT
> I think now is not the time to adopt something that does any big sweeping change like
change our wiki, website, etc...

> Let's just add something to our current basket of tricks that allows us to write clean
and effective "books" of versioned documentation that can be packaged into releases and available
online.

As stack said, it'd be nice to have the documentation as part of the Maven build, this way
it would be simple for any one to git clone, make edits available and sort of crowd-source
it.

I had no idea there was so many 'docbook-like' things out there though.  Asciidoc looks nice.
 Honestly as long as the presentation code is kept way out of the content you should start
with something simple, and change it later.  there isn't an maven-asciidoc plugin I can find,
but a simple execution path could be made to happen linked to a profile so as to only invoke
the generation if you need it.

I would certainly like to volunteer some time to help with this, but I agree, since you want
to reduce the barriers to entry, simplicity has to be one of the top criteria.

Paul