hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Koch <tho...@koch.ro>
Subject Tool for HBase book was: HBase Hackathon IV Wrap-up
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2010 07:40:31 GMT

only a suggestion that you might consider for writing HBase documentation:

* Uses reStructuredText as input format[2], therefor
  * the source text format is pleaseant to read too
  * the source can be checked in to SVN/GIT so code and documentation
    are in the same systen. Jira patches can come together with
    documentation changes in the same patch.
* Produces HTML and PDF as output
* Support to include javadoc documentation is under development[3] as
  a GSOC project
* Popular in the python world. Python seems to be popular in the
  Hadoop ecosystem too.

I've not yet used sphinx itself, but only reStructuredText. But I very much
enjoy to have the documentation as plain text files alongside my code and
still be able to compile a website or a PDF from it.

If you'd like to consider this option, I may have time after the next exams in
september to digg deeper into sphinx.

[1] http://sphinx.pocoo.org/
[2] http://docutils.sf.net/rst.html

Best regards,