hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Feature branch for master rewrite
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2010 00:23:03 GMT
Supportive +1, it's hard for us to see the big picture through the
stream of patches and I think creating that branch goes hand in hand
with what was said at the Hadoop Contributors meetup (not that we are
tied to what was said there, but I remember that we all agreed that it
was a good model for HBase too).

J-D

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Jonathan Gray <jgray@facebook.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> So it's been a clunky and slow-moving process with HBASE-2694 and related JIRAs.
>
> The most recent HBASE-2697 patch is supposed to be non-controversial but is in fact controversial
because there's really not much context to the changes.

> Instead of trying to make smallish patches that are each individually reviewable, the
consensus is that we should make a feature branch so that our ideas can be seen through but
still in a public forum.  In the end we'll end up with a branch which can be independently
tested, a series of patches that got us here, and incremental (but non-blocking) reviews along
the way.