hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject 0.89.20100621 development branch status
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2010 01:35:19 GMT
Hey all,

Quick update on the development branch 0.89.20100621.

I think the following patches still need to go in:
- HBASE-2767 (failed tests building with HDFS-1209)
- HBASE-2729 (fix bug when flush hits IOE)
- I'd also like to disable the TestAcidGuarantees test in this branch, since
that is a known bug.
- I'd like to commit a short KNOWN_BUGS file which describes a few of the
open issues that we're currently working on. Certainly doesn't have to be
exhaustive list of all open JIRAs, but just a few things that users may run

Aside from that, my testing indicates the branch should be ready to release.

Some performance issues were raised during testing at StumbleUpon -- any
luck figuring those out, Ryan/Stack? It would be good to address them for
the dev release, since it sounds like the RS barely makes progress when this
bug is triggered.

Given the above, I'd like to see if we can get the above two jiras reviewed
and committed later tonight, and I'll try to roll a release candidate before
I go to sleep. I think the correct way to release in this maven land is to
simply do an svn export and vote on that, and then separately do an
assembly:assembly tar as a binary release artifact (since assembly tar
doesn't include unpacked source, etc).

Obligatory reminder that the purpose of this dev release is to get something
usable into users' hands, and not to claim that it's a release quality
artifact - hence I'm hoping we can vote tomorrow/Thurs and release by Friday
at the latest. If there are big problems, we'll just document them as known
bugs and do another release next week, but I think showing release momentum
coming into the Hadoop Summit will do great things for the project.

Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera