hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Merging 0.20 BRANCH and TRUNK WAS -> Re: JIRAs committed on trunk but not branch (take 2)
Date Thu, 13 May 2010 03:56:55 GMT
On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Jonathan Gray <jgray@facebook.com> wrote:

> The idea would be to do this once new features will no longer be allowed and anything
but bug/stability fixes would not be allowed.  Either we branch off trunk once we're ready
to make that call, or we hold off on commits to trunk.  I just recommend branching so new
stuff can still be developed against trunk.  In the past we've not been very strict about
keeping trunk stable and I think this has been to our advantage.  Obviously as we get bigger
we need to stabilize more but I'm not in the camp of wanting an always releasable trunk.  An
always working trunk is good.

> Do you think we should move to a feature branch model if we keep trunk releasable?

I like feature branch models in general for any large
features/rewrites/etc, especially when not all of the community might
be sold on a particular feature (eg a contrib project just getting
started)

> We should definitely try to prevent split work between branches/trunk, but this is really
the first time it's happened in HBase land.  I think chasing Hadoop appends and the lack
of Hadoop releases has a lot to do with how we got here.

Yep, true enough.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon