hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Ploeg <dpl...@gmail.com>
Subject The HowToContribute page
Date Mon, 24 May 2010 00:42:45 GMT
Hi all,

I wanted to introduce myself for those who don't know who I am and make a
request to the more experienced members of the group. I've used HBase in the
past before and, due to circumstances, I was prevented from contributing to
the codebase. Now that doesn't apply to me anymore I'd like to start making
some contributions (although I'm not actively working with HBase on a
current project). I have found, unfortunately, that the relevant howto page
on the wiki is quite out of date:

Some issues that I see / things that I would like clarified include:
1. The use of ant - from what I understand this is no longer the case as
maven has been introduced. As a result a number of the instructions are out
of date.
2. Use of git - from what I gathered from trawling the hbase-dev list, a git
repo is available. I'd prefer to use this approach as I think it is a better
way to work (probably a number of you agree). I'd like to see a reference to
the git repo here and perhaps some instructions on how to work with git in
the hbase context (might help others in the future adopt git rather than
3. The recent introduction of the use of Review Board for reviewing work.

I can create a jira task for this if you like, but I just wanted to kick it
around the group to see if there is anything else that should go on or any
opinions on the above. Although I could probably do the task myself, I'd
prefer if someone more experienced with the process would make the change.

Daniel Ploeg