hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Development release series?
Date Thu, 20 May 2010 19:10:15 GMT
+1 as long as we are super clean on the messaging about how these dev
releases differ from what we usually put out (#3 in the below).  Also,
we need to be clear that these dev releases are driving toward the
next major release of hbase and will stop when that is published.

#4 in the below, does it apply to migration?  Should we gurantee that
evrelease#103 will always be able to run atop the data written with
devrelease#102?  Lets not guarantee no-migration because 1.) I don't
think it'll be an issue w/ this coming release -- no big data format
changes planned -- and 2.) migrations are time-consuming, a
distraction from forward dev (Its unlikely that the characters who
depend on a migration working will be playing w/ dev-releases
anyways).

One healthy development I see coming of this is that it'll spur the
development of release evaluation tools and tests.

You don't have to volunteer as release manager Todd.  Your time would
be better served bug fixing (smile).

St.Ack