hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Lets axe 'core' module and make a flat mvn project of no modules
Date Wed, 19 May 2010 19:24:12 GMT
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Patrick Angeles <patrick@cloudera.com> wrote:
> FWIW, I'm +1 on keeping client and server separate if possible. For one
> thing, the dev and upgrade cycles may be different on these.

Yes, we should aim in this direction if only because it makes for less
tangled more maintainable code.

> You could actually spin out client into its own project. No need to keep it
> under the same multi-module pom but that might prove harder to work with.
> WRT to multi-module reporting with mvn, I agree, that's a bit of a pain but
> at least it's not a required part of a successful build.

My argument for removing the submodule is that it just makes other
stuff hard to figure.  At the moment where we have one submodule only
its not easy grokking stuff like site layout where you have to
navigate down to core to get the interesting stuff.  Also, developing,
fellas have to mod core/pom.xml rather than pom.xml, and the list goes

Let me remove it.  And let us at same time work on the client/server
separation.  Hopefully we'll figure a means of a client bundle that
doesn't require maven submodules... but  maybe when the time comes,
we'll need to reinstitute modules.  I'm fine w/ that.  At that time we
should be all more comfortable with maven so it'll be less of an
intrusion.  Also, the modules will have a raison d'ĂȘtre rather than
current state of affairs where the submodule can only be seen as an

Thanks Patrick,

View raw message