hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IRC discussions for those that live in different timezones
Date Fri, 14 May 2010 19:56:23 GMT
Sorry guys I am very -1 on this issue.  IRC is inherently a very
casual discussion forum and logging it might discourage people from
"thinking aloud".  Not saying that we have things to hide, however it
is important to have a "private" space.  I fear if IRC becomes logged,
then conversations will be held in real-space which is even less
accessible.

I do use screen+irssi (and have used it on and off for over 15 years)
and I highly recommend it to people - you never have to worry about
missing a conversation or coming in and not seeing the last 10 minutes
of said conversation.  It also allows your irc client to become a
message drop point (people can leave you private msgs when you are
afk).  Here in SF, comcast doesn't filter incoming port 22, and
combined with dyndns and a linksys firewall (and vmware) it's easy to
have a small Linux vm that is just for small internet things like
this.

-ryan

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Lars George <lars.george@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi JD,
>
> I am doing a similar thing but I have switched machines and lost
> history many times that way. But some times it would be good to go
> back in time and search for a topic, like in the mail archive. Because
> otherwise you could also argue "why do we need an email archive, I
> have an email program running that downloads them so I can read them
> when I have time".
>
> The bot is done by Steven from Outerthought - but I am not sure what
> his long term plans are. Steven, are you listening?
>
> Lars
>
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcryans@apache.org> wrote:
>> I know there's one bot in the channel that logs everything, but the
>> logs aren't public and I don't remember who set this up.
>>
>> Personally I use irssi+screen so that people can I even talk to me
>> when I'm offline. Stack, Ryan, Todd and some others do the same.
>>
>> J-D
>>
>> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 5:49 AM, Paul Smith <psmith@aconex.com> wrote:
>>> is there an online IRC log of the #hbase discussions someone can point me to..
? is it logged?

>>> I feel I miss out on lots either overnight or during my work day, and I can't
keep up.  See lots of juicy JIRA things from obviously detailed discussions but I like to
see the raw info.