hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: The HowToContribute page
Date Mon, 24 May 2010 15:16:05 GMT
On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Daniel Ploeg <dploeg@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Daniel

> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/HowToContribute
>
> Some issues that I see / things that I would like clarified include:
> 1. The use of ant - from what I understand this is no longer the case as
> maven has been introduced. As a result a number of the instructions are out
> of date.

This is true.  Ant for old stuff, the 0.20 branch and behind.  Maven
going forward.  You can point devs at the maven page up on the wiki
where we're trying to doc common maven tasks.  There is even a how to
do in maven what you used to do in ant table.

> 2. Use of git - from what I gathered from trawling the hbase-dev list, a git
> repo is available. I'd prefer to use this approach as I think it is a better
> way to work (probably a number of you agree). I'd like to see a reference to
> the git repo here and perhaps some instructions on how to work with git in
> the hbase context (might help others in the future adopt git rather than
> svn).

Great.

> 3. The recent introduction of the use of Review Board for reviewing work.

Excellent.

> I can create a jira task for this if you like, but I just wanted to kick it
> around the group to see if there is anything else that should go on or any
> opinions on the above. Although I could probably do the task myself, I'd
> prefer if someone more experienced with the process would make the change.

You should make the change Daniel.  As you suggest, the rest of us can
review.  Let me add some stuff to the JIRA you just opened.

Thanks for doing this important work.
St.Ack