hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jg...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: Version number of next release
Date Thu, 20 May 2010 18:01:54 GMT
Agreed on confusion regardless what we pick.  But not sure I see what the value is in sticking
to 0.21?  Hadoop is also releasing a "development 0.21" release and people will think these
two things are tied together, though they are not.

I'm a big +1 on 0.90 for the next release.  For the development release, we could call it
0.80 or 0.89.

I agree we're not 1.0 yet but feel strongly that we're nearing it and the next release is
getting us most of the way there.  Once we stabilize it out in the world and add whatever
big features we think are left, I'm confident we can get to 1.0 soon after.  We're already
fairly stable from an API perspective and I don't see any big changes in the pipeline that
would prevent backwards compatibility.

So in moving towards 1.0, I'd like to get our version numbers up to point to that fact, thus
my vote for 0.90.

IMO 0.30 says "we're not tied to hadoop anymore" and "we're bigger than 0.20" but not much
else.  0.90 says we're approaching a 1.0 and HBase is becoming a legitimate piece of software
you can trust your data in.  The wave of development happening right now and the production
use cases that will be propping up in the second half of this year confirm this.

JG