hbase-dev mailing list archives

From tsuna <tsuna...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase move to Apache Top Level Project
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:25:21 GMT
On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
> The primary disruption to developers will be when the subversion
> repository is renamed.  We'll send out a note before we do this, then

Technically, I don't think the repository gets renamed.  It's just a
matter of moving a directory in the tree with `svn mv'.

> developers can use 'svn switch' to update their repos (There is no
> apache git repo that I know of... I asked just in case)

I hope the read-only Git repos will get updated to track the new path
too.  I wish we could use this opportunity to switch to Git entirely.

> One other issue is the wiki.  I don't think it's easy to rename a
> subtree from a Moin Moin wiki to a new wiki.  Fortunately we don't
> have many wiki pages and could cut and paste them manually.

I'm sure we can also script that.

> Alternately, we could switch to using confluence for our wiki.

I'm against this.  Confluence = Proprietary Software.  Plus, many
people I talked to who've used it complained about its UI and wiki
syntax.  And I think it makes more sense to stay on what we already
know and use, instead of spending time migrating the contents to a
different kind of wiki.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com