hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Lars George <lars.geo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase move to Apache Top Level Project
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2010 07:11:13 GMT
+1 on all of the above. I think with becoming a TLP it is of utmost
importance to throw down a perfect start, i.e. clean code, clean
website (!), clean build process, and a clear strategy on versioning,
roadmap etc. We have all the passion and intricate knowledge to do
that. I suggest that the Bay Area devs all get together and establish
this in one fell swoop. We have put of polishing way to long IMHO and
hopefully Ryan can get something moving with the site, if not it
should be organized differently now now. I am sure one of us the
contacts to make this happen, heck I throw in a hundred bucks if that
helps. I cannot imagine getting someone doing a current design while
integrating the established content is such a big thing.

Let us show the world what a few determined "nerds" (in the positive
sense) can achieve!

Lars

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Jonathan Gray <jgray@facebook.com> wrote:
> Yay HBase!
>
> I am also interested in this.
>
> Now might also be the time to think about breaking from hadoop numbering (I think this
idea has been floating around since the first version we synced).

> We've already agreed to break client compatibility for 0.20.5 and it's more than a minor
revision.  And I'm sure we'll have another release between 0.20.5 and 0.21.

> It's also clear that this is going to be by far our most solid release to date and so
might be worthy of new shiny versioning/packaging as a TLP.  Website/docs/wiki refresher
to boot.

> Changing the package names is way more invasive to client code but I'm always +1 on making
stuff shorter.

> Anyways, I'm not doing much production cluster maintenance these days so these changes
would impact me way less than others.  Will welcome pushback if you guys don't want to deal
with this.