hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: HBase move to Apache Top Level Project
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2010 07:22:26 GMT
On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Jonathan Gray <jgray@facebook.com> wrote:
> Now might also be the time to think about breaking from hadoop numbering (I think this
idea has been floating around since the first version we synced).

> We've already agreed to break client compatibility for 0.20.5 and it's more than a minor
revision.  And I'm sure we'll have another release between 0.20.5 and 0.21.

So, the new version could be 0.21 but thats not 'breaking from hadoop
numbering' and it can't be 1.0.0 .... yet.  What should it be?  0.99.0
is kinda dumb.  0.3.0? (We went as far as 0.2.0 on old numbering
system).  0.3.0 will be less than 0.21.0 so will mess w/ packaging
systems.  0.30.0?

> It's also clear that this is going to be by far our most solid release to date and so
might be worthy of new shiny versioning/packaging as a TLP.  Website/docs/wiki refresher
to boot.

> Changing the package names is way more invasive to client code but I'm always +1 on making
stuff shorter.

Might have to keep around the old stuff deprecated.

St.Ack

> Anyways, I'm not doing much production cluster maintenance these days so these changes
would impact me way less than others.  Will welcome pushback if you guys don't want to deal
with this.