hbase-dev mailing list archives

From tsuna <tsuna...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release killed... RC3 coming soon WAS -> Re: [VOTE] Shall we release hbase-0.20.4 Release Candidate 2 as hbase-0.20.4? (WAS --> Re: [VOTE] Shall we release hbase-0.20.4 Release Candidate 1 as hbase-0.20.4?)
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2010 08:22:06 GMT
On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Cosmin Lehene <clehene@adobe.com> wrote:
> I've noticed there are more places where exceptions tend to be eaten, or transformed
in a generic IOException. Working around this tends to obscure logic sometimes.  More, most
of the classes seem to both catch and throw IOException as a "standard". Perhaps working a
bit towards having a richer set of IOException subclasses would make sense. Anyone thought
of that?

I totally agree.  HBase's use of exceptions (both internally and in
the client API) is Just Wrong.  Virtually everything throws an
IOException and hardly any method documents what it may really
represent, so writing proper recovery code is almost impossible (you
can always give up or retry, but you don't really know what kind of
problem you're dealing with).  And of course IOException is a checked
exception, which means you are *forced* to handle it, even though you
almost never know what to do with HBase's IOEs.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com