hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JMX bean registrations for Master & RegionServers
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 07:14:37 GMT
In the HMaster, there is this:

  private void startServiceThreads() {
    // Do after main thread name has been set
    this.metrics = new MasterMetrics();

which calls the MBeanUtil registration (a hadoop utility) which
registers the MasterMetrics which contains all those metrics you are
interested in.  The HMaster constructor will block until the ZK master
node is available.

does this help?

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 11:48 PM, Paul Smith <psmith@aconex.com> wrote:
> Hi gents, related to the Parfait/PCP discussion recently, I'm hitting a problem that
I need your help.
> Right now a MetricContext implementation is initialised fairly early within the Hbase/Hadoop
lifecycle, and is given a chance to initialise which is good.  However what I've noticed
is that other parts of the JMX namespace do not appear for, say, the HMaster process until
quite late; well after the MetricContext impl is initialized.
> My PCPContext implementation I'm working on is going to want to 'sniff' and identify
what type of process it is, mainly so as to be able to route metrics to a locally named file
identifying it as metrics from that service.  There is no way that I can spot at the moment
where a MetricContext can be told that the process own initialization is complete.  I'd like
to have this so that a proper exploration of the JMX namespace can happen to export things
like JVM metrics etc.
> Can someone point me in the right direction here?  For example, once the HMaster is
started up, there exists a JMX bean with the name pattern 'hadoop:service=Master' namespace.
 Unfortunately the RegionServer process has a pattern that is 'hadoop:service=HBase', but
that ALSO appears in the Master process (and early) so right now my naive topology sniffing
is seeing this and thinking the Master is a RegionServer.
> If I can delay my PCPContext initialization (even by just waiting until I can detect
something has occurred) until the rest of the HBase process is properly up and running, then
I think I'm off and racing.
> Any hooks or ideas on this would be appreciated.
> Paul

View raw message