hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: JMX bean registrations for Master & RegionServers
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 12:37:38 GMT

>> hadoop:name=RegionServerStatistics,service=RegionServer
>> hadoop:name=RPCStatistics-60020,service=HBase
>>

> ok, well under my local simple testing (sort of straight out of the box unpacking, not
distributed), the RegionServer does _not_ export that RegionServerStatistics which is interesting.
 If it did, that would be enough to differentiate it.  Right now, in simple mode, the RS only
exports the RPCStatistics. (this is for hbase-0.20.3)

> Let me dig further, thanks.

ok, well that certainly did point me in the right direction, because my 'clean' installation
of hbase isn't so clean.  A really fresh unpack of hbase _does_ show the RegionServerStatistics
mbean.

However a clean unpack is working in non-distributed mode.  My other copy I had been working
on had a config like this:

<configuration>
  <property>
    <name>hbase.rootdir</name>
    <value>file:///tmp/hbase-${user.name}/hbase</value>
  </property>
  <property>
    <name>hbase.cluster.distributed</name>
    <value>true</value>
  </property>
  <property>
    <name>hbase.zookeeper.quorum</name>
    <value>localhost</value>
  </property>
</configuration>

I was trying to simulate a 'fully working cluster' (with only 1 node) to test the different
working parts as a proper cluster might with different java processes.  In this configuration,
the RegionServerStatistics mbean is not found in the RS process.

Why that is is a bit of a mystery, but at least I should be able to use the sniffing pattern
once I know why it's not appearing.

thanks,

Paul