hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Any objection if we up RPC version when we go from 0.20.3 to 0.20.4?
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 00:03:46 GMT
Are there objections to changing the RPC version number when we
release 0.20.4?  Changing the RPC version number will mean that a
0.20.4 and 0.20.3 version hbase cluster will not be able to talk to
each other.  Updating your cluster from 0.20.3 to 0.20.4 will require
a restart.

Currently our RPC is brittle in that we can't add or amend methods
without breaking the interface.  We'd like to make the interface
tolerant of small changes.   To do this, we need to change how RPC
identifies remote methods.  See HBASE-2219 for details.  The change in
method identification requires that we up the RPC version so
mismatched clients fail fast.

If above is amenable, we'll also pull into 0.20.4 other facility such
as the new multiput and fixes that make us less vulnerable to flapping
dns, etc.

Yours,
St.Ack