hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Any objection if we up RPC version when we go from 0.20.3 to 0.20.4?
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 06:49:11 GMT
We discussed jumping to 0.20.5 (either have 0.20.4 as a bug fix
release only or skipping it entirely) instead of continuing with
0.20.4 that breaks compatibility. 0.21 means it works on Hadoop 0.21,
we binded ourselves to that, so it's not really an option.

I'm +1 on a 0.20.4 that breaks backward compatibility if we advertise
it as such, like using a size 72 warning in bright blinking characters
(not really). Also it wouldn't be the first time we aren't able to
keep it compatible and until 1.0 I don't really mind it that much.

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 10:33 PM, tsuna <tsunanet@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's going to confuse the hell out of people because going from 0.20.3
> to 0.20.4 seems to be only a minor update.
> Can't we name the new release somewhat differently to make it clear
> that there's a compatibility problem between the two releases?  Is
> 0.21.x really not an option?
> --
> Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
> Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com