hbase-dev mailing list archives

From psm...@aconex.com
Subject Re: Stargate War - jetty.xml and dependencies
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2010 08:43:00 GMT

On 09/02/2010, at 15:49, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Paul Smith <psmith@aconex.com> wrote:

>> What I propose is then a directory structure change to stargate
>>
>> hbase/
>>   contrib/
>>        stargate/
>>              web
>>              service (or something)
>>
>> and move the WEB-INF related stuff into the 'web' area, and move
>> the java side under 'service'.
>
> Sounds good.
>

>> that way we can have 2 artifacts produced, one a jar file
>> (service), and one a war file (web) automatically.
>>
> Can the web depend on the service?  The web would bundle under its lib
> dir the service jar rather than include all stargate classes under
> WEB-INF?  I think that'll work.

Absolutely. That's exactly how it will work.

>> There's also no reason we can't also have a 3rd artifact, say,
>> 'standalone' that is a bundled up version of jetty, with a Main
>> class that just launches Jetty with the jetty.xml (simple using the
>> appassembler Maven plugin). Although the confusion from my newbie
>> HBase side is one AndrewP mentioned about running the stargate bit
>> through the hbase daemons.sh script.  I'm not really sure what that
>> means, does that farm the stargate stuff out to all datanodes or
>> something?
>
> No.  Run bin/hbase.  See how it emits usage.  See how one of the
> options to bin/hbase is 'rest'.  When you do bin/hbase rest, it starts
> up a jetty that has the stargate webapp in it.

Will look into that more. That sounds like stargate depends on hbase
and hbase 'might' depend on stargate which is a cyclic dependency (not
good). If the hbase.sh is just a launcher script to start a standalone
process with an embedded jetty+stargate it would seem better for that
script to live with stargate?  The maven appassembler plugin will help
automate that I think.

Maybe we can chat further on irc.