hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: Discussion: Move contribs out of hbase?
Date Sat, 06 Feb 2010 01:41:04 GMT

On 31/01/2010, at 11:57 AM, Stack wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Joydeep Sarma <jsensarma@gmail.com> wrote:
>> fwiw - i agree with Dhruba's take. i can't imagine (for example)
>> hadoop shipping without hadoop-streaming (which is contrib). and it's
>> awesome that hadoop changes that break streaming are caught early and
>> often.
>
> I suggest that contribs we deem critical should be pulled up out of
> contrib and moved up to core.

You may wish to also consider not putting it _into_ core, but making a standalone module by
itself, effectively promoting it to a 'top-level' Hbase module (still dependent on, say, a
hbase-core module).

pretty simple to do, certainly with a Maven-based system (check out HBASE-2099 progress if
anyone is interested, it's particularly just a directory move for me).

Going towards an-ever-larger-core bundle could lead to 'fat-binary syndrome', and you may
start leading to a cycle dependency problem that will make refactoring difficult.  Having
it in contrib as a layer in someway gives a nice layer isolation.

worth considering?

cheers,

Paul