hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Kay <kaykay.uni...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving to Maven (HBASE-2099)
Date Sat, 13 Feb 2010 08:25:54 GMT
Mathias -
    I have been using Ivy / Maven , interchangeably in different
projects for the build management.  Both of them clearly have their
strong points and drawbacks.  Ivy fits great for thrift because of the
nature of tasks , involved using some external command-line (thrift
generators) etc.  As I mentioned before - HBase does not have such cross
maven goals / between the hairs as the build lifecycle is pretty
straight-forward.
   In any case - the intention is to get to publish HBase artifacts and
maintain a smaller core and encouraging contribs. from the artifacts as
opposed to getting into the codebase.
Once there are HBase artifacts published , the contrib / plugins for the
same would be free to use ivy (with m2compatible="true") / maven as
appropriate.

Ryan -
    The slowness is attributed to the 'changing="true" ' in ivy.xml-s
for all the hadoop-common / -hdfs / -mapreduce snapshots that we are
using. I am facing similar 'slowness' with other mvn hadoop (snapshot)
dependencies as well. In retrospective, that should have been made a
configurable flag in libraries.properties , to ease things. Hopefully
that is sorted out soon.