hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Kay <kaykay.uni...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving to Maven (HBASE-2099)
Date Sat, 13 Feb 2010 07:59:57 GMT
+1 on the 'maven'ization.

As far as I see - there is not any special cross goal dependencies
coming up, in the HBase lifecycle so this should not be a problem.

As I had suggested earlier - the best course of action, for a smooth
transition would be -

* directory changes as necessary for mvn
* modify build scripts.
.
.
.
* working pom.xml in place and build scripts /ivy removed.

Good work, Paul .

On 02/12/2010 06:10 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
> I while ago I prepared a fairly lengthy email to this list about the potential of moving
HBase to a Maven build system (as is discussed on HBASE-2099). On reflection, it was a) long,
and b) a bit over the top. I think from a small smattering of discussions on IRC it appears
there's at least a view that it might be worth kicking off a  discussion, so the content of
the original mail isn't needed.

> So, lets talk! :)
>
> I personally think Maven will assist as the HBase community to refactor the Hbase system
into various components and should make your lives a lot easier.  The built-in reporting and
packaging elements make things easy if you follow conventions (I'm just proposing a few directory
shuffles to follow these conventions to simplify things).  I'm also recommending a slight
change in direction with respect to the produced tar balls that are spit out.

> What do people think?  The IntelliJ built in support for Maven is outstanding, and the
M2Eclipse plugin is excellent for Eclipse, so there's good support for it in the IDE.    Kay
Kay looks to have good Maven skills up his sleeve by the looks of his work on HBASE-2212 moving
out the Lucene code to a github project (nice work!), so there should be good support around.
 Maven will help simplify the publishing of artifacts to the Maven repositories (particularly
regular snapshots for anyone upstream that want's easy access to the latest without having
to build from source).

> HBASE-2099 has a lengthy comment trail on it, so may not be easily digestible.  If you
have any questions or concerns I'd really like to hear your thoughts.  If you're unfamiliar
with Maven I highly recommend the Maven: The Definitive Guide (free, see [1])