hbase-dev mailing list archives

From "Laurence Hubert" <Laurence.Hub...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Google patent over Map Reduce - Hbase reflections
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:33:29 GMT
Dear all,

I think the impact of this patent should not be underestimated. If
Hadoop/HBase is only an educational system and not used by anybody for any
business then I agree there is no threat to the community...
but if companies are relaying on it to do business (and some started to
evaluate the use of Hadoop/HBase in commercial systems) then the companies
businesses or products might be threatened. This means, unless something is
done, companies cannot select Hadoop/HBase anymore for implementations
because this is too much of a risk... which is in fact the biggest threat to
hadoop... it was becoming popular and companies started to consider
supporting it (providing development resources...) because this was a
possible platform for their businesses...

In my opinion a healthy attitude to this would be to analyse what was
actually *really* protected and be creative on how hadoop could/should
differentiate. Because if hadoop is just a 1:1 replica of the Google system,
then there is no chance that it will attract more than the academic
community and its nice success story is going to end here... I see enough
intellectual power in the team to be able to take the Google patent and
produce the next generation...

My two cents,
Laurence Hubert