hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Kay <kaykay.uni...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OK with all that build moves to use ivy resolving dependencies?
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2010 06:10:24 GMT
Ryan Rawson wrote:
> I'm not a fan of systems that increase complexity for no major wins.

I can bet , somebody else, bringing up dependency management in one form
or another, soon (well- this was already a jira issue, before I started
this thread ).

> After talking to some guys on #hbase, I think we'd be better off going
> to maven.
Can you be more specific, about some of the pros/ cons, that you think
is applicable to hbase.
>  It's more complex, but you get more wins out of it.  It
> sounds like the contributor just wants maven published artifacts, so
> it's not even 'ivy' as per se.
>
> So given all that, I'd rather do the whole hog, rather than the half
> and half thing. Ie: maven over ivy.

My original objective was to upgrade the Lucene version, for indexing
from 2.2 ( pretty old ) to 3.x , where I needed to use some of the
significant changes gone in 2.9 and some API sugar / performance
improvements in 3.0+ .

I was under the assumption of flipping a version in properties and
resubmitting a patch towards it, but later discovered the versioning of
dependencies  (deleting + adding jars).

Chose ivy because it was used in core/mr/hdfs and thought that is the
standard dependency management tool in the hadoop (+ family) world.

I have nothing against maven, but chose ivy only because it offers the
best way to reuse investments in build.xml , made over a period of time
and a comparatively easier learning curve (compared to mvn). My $ 0.02 .