hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Hammerbacher <ham...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Avro for WAL serialization format?
Date Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:35:30 GMT
Hey Andy,

However if Avro is both fast and has good support for nested structures
> with optional fields, and we could come up with some scheme where some
> marker indicates a field should get the last previous value seen (as
> opposed to just being null), then it might not be so crazy.

Avro does have good support for nested structures with optional fields. The
"last previous value" scheme is outside the scope of Avro at this point.

If you could (informally) write up what you would need from your
serialization system for the HBase WAL and send it over to
avro-dev@hadoop.apache.org, we'd really appreciate the guidance and will do
our best to include your needs on the roadmap.

Also, FWIW, we've filed a ticket to use Avro serialization for the HDFS
edits log at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-842.

Regards,
Jeff