hbase-dev mailing list archives

From John Roberts <johnroberts...@yahoo.com>
Subject HBase: using S3 for storage
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 02:49:50 GMT
I'm running HBase version 0.20.2 and am trying to get my HBase server
to use S3 for storage instead of the local file system.  I tried
following the instructions here but could not get it to work:

http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/thread.jspa?messageID=139683

My HBase version does not have a hadoop-site.xml file so I created one in the conf directory
with the following parameters:

<configuration>
<property>
  <name>fs.default.name</name>
  <value>s3://hbase</value>
</property>

<property>
  <name>fs.s3.awsAccessKeyId</name>
  <value>id</value>
</property>

<property>
  <name>fs.s3.awsSecretAccessKey</name>
  <value>secret</value>
</property>

</configuration>

also updated the hbase.rootdir property with the S3 url as per the reference above.  When
I ran
the hbase shell and tried to put a value into a table I got a deep stack trace with
no mention of S3.

Has anyone gotten HBase to use S3?  If so - could you send me the config changes you made
to get it to work?  Thanks!

John