hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Earl Cahill <cahi...@yahoo.com>
Subject getting started feedback
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2009 03:47:39 GMT
Howdy,

I currently have an hadoop cluster and am trying to get hbase going on it.  I am trying to
work through this page

http://hadoop.apache.org/hbase/docs/current/api/overview-summary.html#overview_description

and here is a little feedback.

    1.  This sentence made me feel like I was missing something, but I am not sure what the
call to action was since hbase.rootdir is discussed below

For running a fully-distributed operation on more than one host, the following configurations
must be made in addition to those described in the pseudo-distributed operation section above.

    2.  Thought probably was a little weak here, since it seems I have to change the setting

In fully-distributed operation, you probably want to change your hbase.rootdir from localhost
to the name of the node running the HDFS namenode.

    3.  I wonder if having two sections, one for hbase managing zookeeper, one for tieing
into an existing zookeeper would make things easier to follow.  Just guessing that the common
case is that folks don't have a zookeeper instance sitting around.  I didn't for example,
and I actually do have a hadoop cluster sitting around :)

    4.  I also wonder about having a kind of dumb little java script thing that could generate
xml or the like that could just be inserted into the respective files.
    5.  Might want to mention to run things as the hadoop user.  Looks like that might be
at the heart of my current hbase problems.

Enjoy!
Earl
 http://blog.spack.net - http://crumbtracker.com - http://mycomparer.com - http://holaservers.com