hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] HBase 0.20.0 available for download
Date Wed, 09 Sep 2009 02:19:17 GMT
Now that we have a release I'll roll RPMs for Cloudera tomorrow and send them off. I'd do it
tonight but I'm just too swamped.

   - Andy

________________________________
From: stack <stack@duboce.net>
To: HBase Dev List <hbase-dev@hadoop.apache.org>; hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org; general@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 5:08:46 PM
Subject: [ANN] HBase 0.20.0 available for download

HBase 0.20.0 is available for download:

  http://hadoop.apache.org/hbase/releases.html

The Release Notes are available here: http://su.pr/2sjrkf

This HBase is faster, slimmer, sweeter smelling, and more robust than
previous versions.  We recommend that all upgrade to this release.

HBase 0.20.0 runs on Hadoop 0.20.0.  A lot has changed since 0.19.x
including configuration fundamentals.  Be sure to read the 'Getting Started'
documentation:
http://hadoop.apache.org/hbase/docs/r0.20.0/api/overview-summary.html#overview_description

If you wish to bring your 0.19.x hbase data forward to 0.20.0, you will need
to run a migration.  See http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/HowToMigrate.
First read the overview and then go to the section, 'From 0.19.x to 0.20.x'.

Thanks to all who contributed to this release

Yours,
The HBasistas

P.S. 0.20.0 Highlights include:

+ Much improved performance
+ Master is no longer SPOF
+ Rolling restarts -- no need to take down whole cluster updating config. or
making minor upgrades
+ A new, more comprehensive API (The old API is still present but
deprecated)
+ Improved mapreduce connectors updated to suit Hadoop 0.20.0 new mapreduce
API
+ New contrib package with updated Transactional HBase (THBase) and Indexed
HBase (ITHBase) as well as a new REST gateway called stargate
+ And, as they say on the radio, "much, much more".