hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject roadmap: data integrity
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 17:25:53 GMT
I updated the roadmap up on the wiki:

* Data integrity
    * Insure that proper append() support in HDFS actually closes the
      WAL last block write hole
    * HBase-FSCK (HBASE-7) -- Suggest making this a blocker for 0.21

I have had several recent conversations on my travels with people in
Fortune 100 companies (based on this list:

You and I know we can set up well engineered HBase 0.20 clusters that
will be operationally solid for a wide range of use cases, but given
those aforementioned discussions there are certain sectors which would
say HBASE-7 is #1 before HBase is "bank ready". Not until we can say:

  - Yes, when the client sees data has been committed, it actually has
been written and replicated on spinning or solid state media in all

  - Yes, we go to great lengths to recover data if ${deity} forbid you
crush some underprovisioned cluster with load or some bizarre bug or
system fault happens.

HBASE-1295 is also required for business continuity reasons, but this
is already a priority item for some HBase committers.

The question is I think does the above align with project goals.
Making HBase-FSCK a blocker will probably knock something someone
wants for the 0.21 timeframe off the list.

   - Andy