hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jl...@streamy.com>
Subject Re: ANN: hbase 0.20.0 Release Candidate 2 available for download
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:04:36 GMT
I'm with Andrew.  -1 on RC2.

I don't see the value in putting 0.20.0 into the wild when there are
known defects.  Just to release 0.20.1 shortly thereafter saying, this
fixes important issues so please upgrade immediately.  It's completely
acceptable to say, lots of people are using RC2 in production and it's
fine to move forward with... and upgrade to the release when it is
available.  Following release of 0.20.0, we should all be on a PR kick;
blogging, tweeting, emailing, reaching out, and talking to everyone we
can about the awesome new release.  So the initial release itself should
be solid.

The balancing issue is a serious issue as it means if you lose a node
and it comes back online, or if you add a new node, your cluster will
suffer some serious reliability and performance issues.  I don't think
we should consider this rare or fringe, in fact it means you can't do
rolling restarts properly.

I experienced this in our running production system and eventually I had
to keep running the cluster w/o two of my nodes.  If you have a node
with a far fewer regions than the others, then all new regions go to
that regionserver... load becomes horribly unbalanced if you have a
recent-data-bias, with a majority of reads and writes going to a single
node.  This led to that RS being swamped w/ long GC pauses and generally
bad cluster stability.  It's a release blocker alone, IMO.  JSharp ran
into this yesterday which is how we realized it had been uncommitted.

I *might* be okay with a release of 0.20.0 w/o a fix for HBASE-1784
because it is very rare... however failed compactions leading to data
loss is pretty nasty and we should really try to fix it for release if
we squash RC2 anyways.  This is at least worth putting some effort into
over the next few days to see if we can reproduce the issue and fix it
(by rolling back failed compactions properly).  It's better that regions
grow to huge sizes because compactions fail, thus no splits, rather than
complete data loss.

HBASE-1780 should be fixed and should not be too difficult, but maybe
not a release blocker.

HBASE-1794 we'll have to hear from Ryan what the status is of it.

No one wants to delay release any longer, but the most important thing
we can do is make sure the release is solid... We can't say that we
these open issue.

Also, HDFS-200 testing by Ryan is turning up some great stuff and he has
had success (creating a table, kill -9ing the RS and DN, and META
recovers fully and the table still exists... magic!).  If we wait until
Monday or so to cut RC3 (hopefully with fixes for much of above), then
perhaps by the time we're ready for release we can also have "official"
but experimental support for HDFS-200.

Ryan mentioned if it works sufficiently well he'd like to put it into
production at supr... and I feel the same here at streamy.  If it
generally works, we'll want to put it into production as the current
data loss story is really the only frightening thing left :)

JG

Andrew Purtell wrote:
> There is a lot riding on getting this release right. There have been some serious bugs
unearthed since 0.20.0 RC1. This makes me nervous. I'm not sure I understand the rationale
for releasing 0.20.0 now and then 0.20.1 in one week, as opposed to taking the same amount
of time to run another RC cycle to produce a 0.20.0 without bad known defects. What is the
benefit?

>     HBASE-1794: Recovered data still seems missing until compaction, which might not
happen for 24 hours. Seems like a fix is already known?
>     HBASE-1780: Data loss, known fix.
>     HBASE-1784: Data loss.
>
> I'll try to put up a patch/band-aid against at least one of these tonight.
>
> HBASE-1784 is really troubling. We should roll back a failed compaction, not vaporize
data. -1 on those grounds alone.