hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ANN: hbase 0.20.0 Release Candidate 1 available for download
Date Fri, 31 Jul 2009 21:07:37 GMT
-1

Region server did not restart after ZK timeout. Entered a high stress period while compacting
under heavy write load, high RAM commitment, and concurrency.

This is a stress test and I need to tune down vm.swappiness some more, but the region server
shut down and did not restart.

See attached.

   - Andy

________________________________
From: stack <stack@duboce.net>
To: hbase-dev@hadoop.apache.org; hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:31:31 PM
Subject: ANN: hbase 0.20.0 Release Candidate 1 available for download

The first hbase 0.20.0 release candidate is available for download:

http://people.apache.org/~stack/hbase-0.20.0-candidate-1/<http://people.apache.org/%7Estack/hbase-0.19.0-candidate-1/>

More than 400 issues have been addressed.  The release notes are available
here: http://su.pr/18zcEO <http://tinyurl.com/8xmyx9>.

HBase 0.20.0 runs on Hadoop 0.20.0.  Alot has changed since 0.19.x including
configuration fundamentals.  Be sure to read the 'Getting Started'
documentation available here:
http://su.pr/211OYP.<http://people.apache.org/%7Estack/hbase-0.19.0-candidate-1/>

If you wish to bring your 0.19.x hbase data forward to 0.20.0, you will need
to run a migration.  See http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/HowToMigrate.
First read the overview and then go to the section, 'From 0.19.x to 0.20.x'.

Should we release this candidate as hbase 0.20.0?  Please vote +1/-1 by
Monday August 3rd.

Yours,
The HBasistas

P.S. 0.20.0 Highlights include:

+ Much improved performance
+ Master is no longer SPOF
+ Rolling restarts -- no need to take down whole cluster updating config. or
making minor upgrades
+ A new, more comprehensive API (The old API is still present but
deprecated)
+ Improved mapreduce connectors
+ New contrib package with updated Transactional HBase (THBase) and Indexed
HBase (ITHBase) as well as a new REST gateway called stargate
+ And, as they say on the radio, "much, much more".