hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Should we up the zk default time out from default 10 seconds to twenty or so?
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:47:01 GMT
Actually 30 seconds does not sound unreasonable when considering how many people we see up
on hbase-users@ with problems related to expecting too much from underpowered test clusters.
I think it is more likely that they will overcommit resources and get a session timeout leading
to other problems then complain about recovery taking too long. We can also put up a note
on the troubleshooting page about
lowering the zk session timeout to achieve faster failover.

   - Andy

________________________________
From: stack <stack@duboce.net>
To: hbase-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:50:16 AM
Subject: Should we up the zk default time out from default 10 seconds to  twenty or so?

During my uploads on small, anemic cluster -- what folks usually run hbase
on -- I am seeing that the ten second timeout happens easily enough.  On a
small cluster, loss of zk lease is pretty catastrophic in terms of region
shuffle especially if lots of data.  In my hair-trigger upload, I have it
set to fail on a hiccup, loss of zk lease will usually mean my upload fails.

On other hand, maybe we should leave it as is so we can make sure we are
good at riding over zk lease expiration?

What you all think?

St.Ack