hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: who's doing what for 0.21?
Date Sat, 20 Jun 2009 23:08:21 GMT
I my opinion, we should not bother to wait for Avro. I've been hearing
about it on and off for three months now. If it is ready the day we
start work on 1015 for 0.21, and it fits the bill, fine, but otherwise
we should just use Thrift or pbufs. Thrift may be preferable as its
compact binary protocol is competitive with pbufs plus it has a fully
implemented async rpc stack. I think this applies for both 1015 and
1295. Also I'm skeptical that something to supplant RMI won't have
overheads related to that we don't need, e.g. transmitting class and
method names as strings, etc.

   - Andy

________________________________
From: Jim Kellerman (POWERSET) <Jim.Kellerman@microsoft.com>
To: "hbase-dev@hadoop.apache.org" <hbase-dev@hadoop.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2009 3:26:58 PM
Subject: RE: who's doing what for 0.21?

I am also interested in 1295 (I have quite a bit of experience
with cross data center replication), but more interested in
getting more of the master into zookeeper.

As for 1556, I might wait a bit. At the Cloudera off-site, one
of the things talked about was doing something similar for
Hadoop which we might leverage.

What really needs to get done around builds is when you mark
a Jira as patch available, we should do a patch build and test
like Hadoop does. Noone has had time to do it to date, but if
you are taking on the build, that would be a "nice to have".

For 1015, should you wait for Avro?

And if you missed it, here are the notes from the Cloudera off-site:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/DeveloperOffsite20090612

---
Jim Kellerman, Powerset (Live Search, Microsoft Corporation)