hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ZK rethink?
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2009 02:50:18 GMT
Hdfs causes us so many scalability and data loss issues. I'm personally
looking into kfs? As it fully supports the key features we complain about in
hdfs, it seems like a great option, if it works and is stable!

On Apr 11, 2009 7:25 PM, "Andrew Purtell" <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:

Hi Chad,

> -- Won't we soon be creating a lot less objects? This > may reduce the
pressure on the GC substan...
Yes, and yes. But, in write heavy environments I think the
new edits represent new memcache entries that are then
freed after flush, etc., and still put pressure on the GC.

> -- Have a Java ZK session handler with a longer timeout for > ease-of-use
and accessibility to no...
Swapping is not actually part of my issues but it easily
could cause a number of problems for unfortunate users.
Mlocking datanodes might be something worth exploring along
with regionservers if someone has the time and inclination.
These components are most likely to cause trouble if they
are partially swapped out during a GC cycle. (Namenode also,
as a separate case, just for sake of completeness as it is
always given special attention during deployment -- or
should, at least.)

  - Andy