hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Holstad <erikhols...@gmail.com>
Subject Structure of values map in HColumnDescriptor.
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2009 01:12:19 GMT
Today we have a values map in HColumnDescriptor that maps strings of names
to ints, booleans and strings.
For a int value you make a string out of it, then you do getBytes on that
string to get the bytes and finally new
ImmutableBytesWritable to store it in the map.
I'm not a big fan of the Text format and I'm happy that we are trying to get
rid of it in as many places as possible
but I think that this is one of the cases where is would actually make sense
to keep them, so we don't have to create
all these new objects just to write them and have something like a map<Text,
Text> or map<Text, IntWritable>.
If choosing the last option we need to convert the one place where strings
are used for the values, compressiontype,
to an int.

Regards Erik