hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HADOOP-3856
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2009 22:27:30 GMT
Thanks for the offer of support Stack.

I'm wondering if any async framework offers enough to make an
external dependency worthwhile. What benefit do they provide, at
the low level that the datanode would operate? I'm not sure.
I've used Netty before, but it's LGPL. Grizzly and MINA are two
more or less equivalent options that I am aware of. MINA is ASF.
That's probably the least objectionable external dependency, but
then I go back to the question of how much time savings would it
offer? There's a learning curve for me in any direction, picking
apart the DN, piecing it back together. There's no argument
against a new dependency if I just go with plain NIO.

Is anyone aware of some compelling benefit to Grizzly or MINA or
some serious pitfall with just using plain NIO? I'm a C++ guy
still learning the Java landscape here...

   - Andy