hbase-dev mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Bloom filters
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2008 20:36:44 GMT
Bruce Williams wrote:
> My understanding, which may be faulty, is the option works until a
> column is modified and then it fails in a difficult-to-fix manner. The
> jira hints that the issue could impact how clients, such as ZooKeeper,
> function as well as HBase.

HBase shouldn't NPE.  If bloomfilters are enabled on a table where
before there were none, the table should just evolve gracefully adding
the filters as it runs (Same should happen when they are disabled; any
filters should be gradually disposed-of).

> I will continue to dig, but coming up to speed on the HBase
> implementation will take my time short term, can someone comment on
> the "client issues"?

Keep asking questions if it'll maximize the time you have for hbase.

Please expand on what you mean by 'client' issues in the above.

Thanks,
St.Ack