hbase-dev mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: OOME hell
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2008 19:48:49 GMT
Andrew Purtell wrote:
> Thanks Stack. I'll walk over your list of questions and see
> if maybe one leads down the correct path!
>
> One thing I can answer right away is that no storefile in
> particular seems to be the bullet. It seems to me that after
> a while heap pressure builds to a point where the
> regionserver falls over, and in a place where the OOME does
> not take it down. Indeed I do think that backporting the
> OOME handling improvements to 0.18 branch would be helpful.

Lets figure whats up over on your cluster and roll a 0.18.2 to address
them, quickly.

> Something I will do right away is disable blockcache. It's
> use as I can see looking at our code is gratuitous.

Ok.  In TRUNK we've been testing it and have fixed at least one bug.

> Also, ok based on what you say what I am experiencing is
> different from what's happening on jgray's cluster. There is
> plenty of available VM and minimal swapping.

Ok.  You have ganglia or something in place so you can see across time?
Weird thing about the jgray phenomeon seen last weds. was loads of mem
and cpu but crazy swap anyways.

St.Ack