hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Cut a 0.2.1 release candidate?
Date Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:43:30 GMT
The log...

--- On Sun, 8/31/08, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Andrew Purtell <apurtell@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Cut a 0.2.1 release candidate?
To: hbase-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Date: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 12:41 PM

+1, especially the locking evaluation and de-entanglement
done by Jim and J-D as part of 810.

We might be seeing regionserver deadlocks with 0.2.0. See
attached partial log, including stack trace requested from
the UI, from a regionserver that reports to the master but
does not handle requests from clients, hanging them. There
is no hint that anything is amiss in the log. All of the IPC
handlers are blocked. Also I'm not sure what to make of
the high counts on CompactSplitThread.compactionQueue :

  Thread 9 (regionserver/0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:60020.compactor):
    State: TIMED_WAITING
    Blocked count: 217143
    Waited count: 393898
    Stack:
      sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
      java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.parkNanos
(LockSupport.java:198)
      java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.awaitNanos(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:1963)
      java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.poll
(LinkedBlockingQueue.java:395)
      org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.CompactSplitThread.run
(CompactSplitThread.java:76)

but do not think I have enough solid information to file a
JIRA and investigate/fix this yet.

I'm hoping we just won't see this with 0.2.1. :-)

  -  Andy