hbase-dev mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: [ANN] hbase-0.2.0 Release Candidate 2
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 17:52:33 GMT
Jim Kellerman wrote:
> -1 With the late inclusion of HBASE-796, there are a number of examples in javadoc that
still reference Text, and I found (without an exhaustive search) classes that still have un-deprecated
methods that accept text: e.g., HColumnDescriptor, HMsg, HBaseAdmin, BatchUpdate. There may
be more.

This is a bug for sure -- Its what I get for rushing in a change at last
minute -- but I'd venture that the fact that we're missing a few
@deprecated's in javadoc should be considered a minor issue and
shouldn't sink the RC.  I'd think that the many @deprecateds in HTable
sufficient to convey the general notion that methods taking Text are
going to be removed in the next release.

Verifying RCs takes time.  We've gotten in two +1s at this point.  I
know that in at least one case, it took some substantial effort on the
part of the voter validating the candidate.  Would be grand if we could
avoid another RC cycle.

How about we let this RC progress and if sufficient votes, release it as
0.2.0 in spite of the above bug.  Meantime I'll make a new issue to fix
the missing @deprecateds and file it for inclusion in 0.2.1?

Thanks Jim,
St.Ack

> My opinion: either back out 796 for 0.2.0 (because 0.3.0 will only address a handful
of bugs before hadoop-0.19 is out there) and include 796 in 0.3.0, removing the deprecated
methods in 0.4.0 (tied to hadoop-0.19) or going through 0.2.0 with a fine tooth comb and changing
examples that use Text and finishing the deprecating of methods.

> ---
> Jim Kellerman, Senior Engineer; Powerset

&sorter/field=updated&sorter/order=DESC