hbase-dev mailing list archives

From "Dai Tan" <dye...@gmail.com>
Subject Why "Integer Counters" function is emphasized in BigTable ?
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 04:07:23 GMT
Dear all:

Hi, I am very interested in BigTable's theories and design. I was confused
by the "Integer Counter" function mentioned in BigTable paper when I read
it. I think this function is not hard to implement and may be useful for
many application. But I believe there would be other significant usages for
"Integer Counters" because it is emphasized as one of the three basic
functions of BigTable.

I find Hbase will implement "Integer Counter" in future release version. So
could anyone tell me the importance of "Integer Counter" and its common
usages? I would really appreciate that.

I attach the segment of "Integer Counter" in BigTable paper as below:

"Bigtable supports several other features that allow the
user to manipulate data in more complex ways. First,
Bigtable supports single-row transactions, which can be
used to perform atomic read-modify-write sequences on
data stored under a single row key. Bigtable does not currently
support general transactions across row keys, although
it provides an interface for batching writes across
row keys at the clients. *Second, Bigtable allows cells
to be used as integer counters*. Finally, Bigtable supports
the execution of client-supplied scripts in the address
spaces of the servers. The scripts are written in a
language developed at Google for processing data called
Sawzall"

--
Best Regards.