hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Chad Walters <c...@powerset.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra project
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 05:50:25 GMT
Cassandra looks very interesting.

It does have a very similar data model to BigTable. I wouldn't exactly call it a BigTable
clone, though, since it doesn't sit on top of a DFS, provides eventual consistency instead
of full consistency, and uses the peer-to-peer mechanism you mentioned. It also currently
appears to be targeted at low latency user-facing random-read workloads rather than batch
scans, although Jeff H. told me batch scans are on the roadmap. If I understand correctly,
it also seamlessly supports operation across multiple data centers right out of the box.

Definitely a project worth following.

Chad