hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Kellerman <...@powerset.com>
Subject RE: HBase Performance question
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:14:46 GMT

If you are doing single record reads (either sequential or random)
HBase currently does not perform that well. (see
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/PerformanceEvaluation , this
page has not been updated recently - as you can see, the numbers
are improving but there is a long way to go). Scanning a row range
is by far the highest performing operation.

HBase is currently best suited for batch-oriented map/reduce type
operations. There are several installations that use it successfully
for this purpose.

The focus for HBase has and will be (until at least release 0.2.0
which will be released in about one month) reliability and robustness.
(i.e., make it work and then make it work fast)

The release that follows 0.2.0 will focus on performance issues. We
know of two areas where HBase spends most of its time:
- in RPC calls (but we have not broken it down to marshalling,
  unmarshalling or introspection used to make the RPC)
- in the Hadoop FileSystem abstraction. (even on local disk, it is
  not as fast as we'd like)

Hope that helps.

>     Could it be due to the way I have set up Hbase?
>
>     Any help would be appreciated.
>
> thanks
>
> karthik

> Checked by AVG.