hbase-dev mailing list archives

From "Rosemond Wu" <rosemond...@gmail.com>
Subject questions about overloading row key comparator method and some storage issues
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:23:24 GMT
Hello,
I have an application in which the data is sparse, is seldom deleted, and
requires extensible table schema. It looks to me hbase is a good fit. I have
several question:

* The row keys in my application require their own comparator. Where is a
good place to overload the key's comparator method? It looks to me that
hbase uses TreeMap in HStore.java to sort and save the tuples. Is this the
place I should start?
* How does hbase keep the order of rows? Does it use something similar to
SSTable described in Google bigtable paper? If my application inserts many
rows with key values that need to be sorted with rows already stored in
disk, will it result in lots of index reconstruction and tablet split?

BTW, why couldn't I access the archives of the old mailing list? When I hit
the link http://hadoop.apache.org/mail/hbase-dev/, I got the following error
message. The same problem happends to other mailist list as well.

 Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /mail/hbase-dev/ on this server.
Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) Server at hadoop.apache.org Port 80   regards RoseMond