hawq-user mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Apache HAWQ binary release and Hadoop vendor neutrality
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2017 23:31:53 GMT
On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Ed Espino <espino@apache.org> wrote:
> HAWQ,
>
> As we get closer to producing our initial binary release, there is one
> important thread (discussed in HAWQ-1421
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAWQ-1421> and supporting PR #1208
> <https://github.com/apache/incubator-hawq/pull/1208>) I would like to bring
> to the forefront. All RPMs produced as part of our initial HAWQ binary
> release *MUST* be Hadoop vendor agnostic. We will be able to clearly
> demonstrate this by being able to successfully install and run HAWQ and
> supporting components (PXF, Ranger Plugin Service, etc) using RPMs produced
> from Apache Bigtop and not any specific commercial vendor. This is a core
> ASF principle we continue to follow.
>
> Thoughts? Concerns?

This is a great suggestion and perfect timing. Bigtop 1.2.0 release is about to
happen next week, but all of the RPMs and DEBs are already staged. You can
install them as any other Hadoop distro by using the following repo files:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/bigtop/1.2.0-RC1/repos/

In fact, Bigtop allows you to do one cool trick on a Docker (and Docker compose)
capable laptop/desktop. All it takes to deploy a Bigtop cluster for testing is:
you download the Bigtop release:
     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/bigtop/1.2.0-RC1/bigtop-1.2.0-project.tar.gz
you untar it and do:
     $ cd bigtop-1.2.0/provisioner/docker
     $ ./docker-hadoop.sh -C config_centos7.yaml -c 3
or
     $ ./docker-hadoop.sh -C config_centos6.yaml -c 3

That will give you a 3 nodes Hadoop cluster running in a
3 Docker containers in a manner of like 1 minute. All configured
and ready to go. In order to interact with nodes in this cluster
you can open direct shell on them via:
     $ ./docker-hadoop.sh -e <node #> bash
and then run the usual hadoop command or install extra
RPMs, etc.

This release of Bigtop also packages Ambari 2.5 which means that
you can even try deploying HAWQ's management pack.

Thanks,
Roman.