hawq-user mailing list archives

From Michael André Pearce <michael.andre.pea...@me.com>
Subject Re: Handling updates and deletes in HAWQ
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2016 11:30:19 GMT
Hi

In my company we faced similar issue.

I noted on this jira how we're handling this.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/HAWQ-304

Essentially we can have updates as we version the rows and on select use the data of the latest
version this allows us during the day to have queries and data changes. Then over night or
at weekend depending on frequency of updates to keep performance we "compact" it which at
this time we cannot have any selects but we can manage this.

Here I guess you can replace our compaction/clean up with simple ctas recreate strategy with
your partition exchange strategy.

I hope this helps. And would be better if we had native update / delete support as per jira.

Cheers
Mike

Sent from my iPhone

> On 23 Sep 2016, at 09:47, mujtaba.qadri@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm curious to know about any experience simulating updates/deletes to rows using partition
exchange strategy.

> Small lookup tables could be rebuilt by creating staging tables, but since select queries
might be running how do we swap out the new table with the old one without select queries
failing.