hawq-user mailing list archives

From Lei Chang <chang.lei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: what is Hawq?
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 08:25:22 GMT
Hi Bob,

Apache HAWQ is a Hadoop native SQL query engine that combines the key
technological advantages of MPP database with the scalability and
convenience of Hadoop. HAWQ reads data from and writes data to HDFS
natively. HAWQ delivers industry-leading performance and linear
scalability. It provides users the tools to confidently and successfully
interact with petabyte range data sets. HAWQ provides users with a
complete, standards compliant SQL interface. More specifically, HAWQ has
the following features:

   - On-premise or cloud deployment
   - Robust ANSI SQL compliance: SQL-92, SQL-99, SQL-2003, OLAP extension
   - Extremely high performance. many times faster than other Hadoop SQL
   engine.
   - World-class parallel optimizer
   - Full transaction capability and consistency guarantee: ACID
   - Dynamic data flow engine through high speed UDP based interconnect
   - Elastic execution engine based on virtual segment & data locality
   - Support multiple level partitioning and List/Range based partitioned
   tables.
   - Multiple compression method support: snappy, gzip, quicklz, RLE
   - Multi-language user defined function support: python, perl, java,
   c/c++, R
   - Advanced machine learning and data mining functionalities through
   MADLib
   - Dynamic node expansion: in seconds
   - Most advanced three level resource management: Integrate with YARN and
   hierarchical resource queues.
   - Easy access of all HDFS data and external system data (for example,
   HBase)
   - Hadoop Native: from storage (HDFS), resource management (YARN) to
   deployment (Ambari).
   - Authentication & Granular authorization: Kerberos, SSL and role based
   access
   - Advanced C/C++ access library to HDFS and YARN: libhdfs3 & libYARN
   - Support most third party tools: Tableau, SAS et al.
   - Standard connectivity: JDBC/ODBC

And the link here can give you more information around hawq:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HAWQ/About+HAWQ

And please also see the answers inline to your specific questions:

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Adaryl "Bob" Wakefield, MBA <
adaryl.wakefield@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Silly question right? Thing is I’ve read a bit and watched some YouTube
> videos and I’m still not quite sure what I can and can’t do with Hawq. Is
> it a true database or is it like Hive where I need to use HCatalog?

It is a true database, you can think it is like a parallel postgres but
with much more functionalities and it works natively in hadoop world.
HCatalog is not necessary. But you can read data registered in HCatalog
with the new feature "hcatalog integration".

> Can I write data intensive applications against it using ODBC? Does it
> enforce referential integrity? Does it have stored procedures?

ODBC: yes, both JDBC/ODBC are supported
referential integrity: currently not supported.
Stored procedures: yes.

> B.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers
Lei