hawq-user mailing list archives

From Dan Baskette <dbbaske...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: what is Hawq?
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2015 14:59:22 GMT
Hive doesn't have the level of SQL support that HAWQ provides especially around sub-selects.
  SparkSQL only support a subset of HiveQL, so the difference there is even bigger.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 13, 2015, at 9:39 AM, Biswas, Supriya <Supriya.Biswas@nielsen.com> wrote:
>
> Hello All –
>
> Hive 0.14 supports ACID and also supports transactions. Spark supports Hive queries (HQL).
>
> Did anyone compare HAWQ with spark SQL or Hive HQL on Spark?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Supriyo Biswas
> Architect – CPS Service Delivery
> The Nielsen Company
> Office (516) 682-6021/NETS 249-6021
> Cell     (516) 353-6795
> www.nielsen.com

systems whereas Greenplum is more towards regular FS. This is a very high level difference
between the two, the differences are more detailed. But a single line difference between the
two is the one I wrote.

> On 13 Nov 2015 14:20, "Adaryl "Bob" Wakefield, MBA" <adaryl.wakefield@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Is Greenplum free? I heard they open sourced it but I haven’t found anything but a
community edition.

> Adaryl "Bob" Wakefield, MBA
> Principal
> Mass Street Analytics, LLC
> 913.938.6685
> www.linkedin.com/in/bobwakefieldmba

mature solution on Hadoop thanks to the postgresql based engine.

> But why wouldn't I use Greenplum instead of HAWQ? It has even better performance and
it supports updates.

> Cheers

> +1 for transactions.
>
> I think a major plus point is that HAWQ supports transactions,  and this enables a lot
of critical workloads to be done on HAWQ.

> On 13 Nov 2015 12:13, "Lei Chang" <chang.lei.cn@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Like what Bob said, HAWQ is a complete database and Drill is just a query engine.
>
> And HAWQ has also a lot of other benefits over Drill, for example:
>
> 1. SQL completeness: HAWQ is the best for the sql-on-hadoop engines, can run all TPCDS
queries without any changes. And support almost all third party tools, such as Tableau et
al.
> 2. Performance: proved the best in the hadoop world
> 3. Scalability: high scalable via high speed UDP based interconnect.
> 4. Transactions: as I know, drill does not support transactions. it is a nightmare for
end users to keep consistency.
> 5. Advanced resource management: HAWQ has the most advanced resource management. It natively
supports YARN and easy to use hierarchical resource queues. Resources can be managed and enforced
on query and operator level.

> Cheers
> Lei
>

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Adaryl "Bob" Wakefield, MBA <adaryl.wakefield@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> There are a lot of tools that do a lot of things. Believe me it’s a full time job keeping
track of what is going on in the apache world. As I understand it, Drill is just a query engine
while Hawq is an actual database...some what anyway.

> Adaryl "Bob" Wakefield, MBA
> Principal
> Mass Street Analytics, LLC
> 913.938.6685
> www.linkedin.com/in/bobwakefieldmba

of MPP database with the scalability and convenience of Hadoop. HAWQ reads data from and writes
data to HDFS natively. HAWQ delivers industry-leading performance and linear scalability.
It provides users the tools to confidently and successfully interact with petabyte range data
sets. HAWQ provides users with a complete, standards compliant SQL interface. More specifically,
HAWQ has the following features:
> ·         On-premise or cloud deployment
> ·         Robust ANSI SQL compliance: SQL-92, SQL-99, SQL-2003, OLAP extension
> ·         Extremely high performance. many times faster than other Hadoop SQL engine.
> ·         World-class parallel optimizer
> ·         Full transaction capability and consistency guarantee: ACID
> ·         Dynamic data flow engine through high speed UDP based interconnect
> ·         Elastic execution engine based on virtual segment & data locality
> ·         Support multiple level partitioning and List/Range based partitioned tables.
> ·         Multiple compression method support: snappy, gzip, quicklz, RLE
> ·         Multi-language user defined function support: python, perl, java, c/c++, R
> ·         Advanced machine learning and data mining functionalities through MADLib
> ·         Dynamic node expansion: in seconds
> ·         Most advanced three level resource management: Integrate with YARN and hierarchical
resource queues.
> ·         Easy access of all HDFS data and external system data (for example, HBase)
> ·         Hadoop Native: from storage (HDFS), resource management (YARN) to deployment
(Ambari).
> ·         Authentication & Granular authorization: Kerberos, SSL and role based
access
> ·         Advanced C/C++ access library to HDFS and YARN: libhdfs3 & libYARN
> ·         Support most third party tools: Tableau, SAS et al.
> ·         Standard connectivity: JDBC/ODBC
>
> And the link here can give you more information around hawq: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HAWQ/About+HAWQ

> And please also see the answers inline to your specific questions:
>
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Adaryl "Bob" Wakefield, MBA <adaryl.wakefield@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Silly question right? Thing is I’ve read a bit and watched some YouTube videos and
I’m still not quite sure what I can and can’t do with Hawq. Is it a true database or is
it like Hive where I need to use HCatalog?

> It is a true database, you can think it is like a parallel postgres but with much more
functionalities and it works natively in hadoop world. HCatalog is not necessary. But you
can read data registered in HCatalog with the new feature "hcatalog integration".

> Can I write data intensive applications against it using ODBC? Does it enforce referential
integrity? Does it have stored procedures?